Week 3 Prompt Response

I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!

  • Circus of the Damned is the third book in the Anita Blake series, so you'll want to read The Lunatic Cafe next!

What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.

  • I would recommend The Last Ranger by Peter Heller, which is a thriller that takes place in Yellowstone National Park and is described as fast-paced and lyrical. Because Prodigal Summer has nature-related themes, you might like the setting of this one. If you're not in the mood for a thriller, I would recommend Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue, a mainstream fiction book that is described as lyrical and fast-paced.

I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!

  • I would recommend The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery, which takes place in 19th century Japan and follows an American girl who is adopted by Kyoto's most important tea master. It is described as richly detailed and has a strong sense of place.

I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?

  • Well-Schooled in Murder is part of the Thomas Lynlie Mysteries series, so if you would like to continue reading Elizabeth George's work, you should check out the fifth book, For the Sake of Elena. I would also recommend Donna Leon's Guido Brunetti Mysteries series, which starts with Death at La Fenice. Like Well-Schooled in Murder, this book is a police procedural that features likeable characters. 

My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?

  • I would recommend The Last of Us: American Dreams by Neil Druckmann, which is a graphic novel adaptation of the video game that has also been turned into an incredible television series. If your husband is interested in The Walking Dead television series or World War Z the movie, I think he would really enjoy this graphic novel and the television series as well! I would also recommend the Feed series by Mira Grant, which is described as fast-paced and action-packed.

I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.

  • I would recommend Women Talking by Miriam Toews, which was published in 2019 and turned into a movie in 2022. It's about eight Mennonite women who meet in secret to decide whether they should leave their increasingly dangerous community. I would also recommend Brother by David Chariandy, which was published in the U.S. in 2018 and turned into a movie in 2022. It's about two young sons of Caribbean immigrants who are growing up in Toronto in the 1990s.

I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.

  • I just read Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney, which is a thriller about a dysfunctional family that reunites one last time for the grandmother's 80th birthday and quickly realizes they are being killed one-by-one. It is clean and fast-paced. 

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

I use a number of tools to find new books to read! I am subscribed to several BookTubers who talk about the books they are currently reading or want to read. My favorites are @TheBookLeo, @leoraaileen, and @katieisreading! I also follow some of my favorite authors on Instagram and TikTok so I can stay up-to-date on their work. I am also subscribed to several Goodreads newsletters, and at the start of every month I take a look at the most anticipated upcoming releases. When I have the time at work, I try to view webinars that highlight new books and authors. Finally, as a Cataloging Assistant, I am able to get my hands on just about every single new book that comes into the library before anyone else!

Comments

  1. Great book recs! I think they are perfect fits! What resources did you use to find the titles? I too use many similar ways to find out about upcoming books!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts